COVID-19 2020-21 Updates
The link below shows cases attributed to any school function or property within Berrien County School Districts.
The chart below reflects COVID-19 information based on cases within the instructional setting.
Berrien County COVID-19 Data
A. The trend of Covid-19 (COVID) cases or positive tests, hospitalizations due to COVID; and the number of deaths resulting from COVID in the past 14-day period.
- Last week 114 new COVID-19 cases were detected. This week 180 New COVID-19 case were detected, no mass testing has been conducted at Cook Nuclear plant.
- Over the last week, Berrien County has seen an average of 25.7 new cases per day. Last week it was 16.2.
- Currently there are 16 people in the hospital who have tested positive for COVID-19 and our hospital system is not overwhelmed. 13 are being treated for COVID-19. This is an increase over last week.
- The COVID-19 death surveillance number have been updated, we have a total of 76 deaths. Death trends remain consistent with what has been observed over the last couple of months.
B. COVID cases for each day for every 1 million people.
- This past week our average new case rate is calculated to be 16.7 cases per 100,000 residents or 166.9 Cases per 1 million residents.
C. The percentage of positive COVID tests over a four-week period.
- 7 day % positivity = 5.7%
- 14 day % positivity = 4.2%
- 28 day % positivity = 3.6%
D. Health care capacity strength.
- Strong – Test turnaround times are quick, resources are available for testing, PPE is in supply, rooms are available. Many new establishments that are not properly reporting to the Health Department.
E. Testing, tracing and containment infrastructure with regard to COVID.
- Public health continues case investigation for all residents who are confirmed positive or identified as a probable case. Contact tracing continues for all person with exposure to a person known to have COVID-19.
- Health department staff have been working closely with schools and parents to mitigate the risk of COVID-19 in school populations.
- There have been relatively few positive cases in school students or staff. Among persons being excluded from schools, the vast majority have had close contact to a positive case outside of school.
- Public health is working tirelessly to keep schools in person and safe. Many schools have been open for about 7 weeks now and BCHD has been closely working with them. As of 10/15/20, there have been 48 positive COVID-19 cases associated with students or staff and only one instance where COVID-19 is likely to have been spread in the school setting. Of the roughly 25,000 students and teachers in Berrien schools, 453 have been recommended for isolation or quarantine during the 2020-21 school year. This represents 82 staff members and 371 students.
- Among people who attend or work at a school, there are currently 13 cases in isolation 193 people in quarantine. The majority of these individuals in isolation did not have an exposure to COVID-19 at school. Many of the exposures happened outside of school.